This year has been really fantastic and I’ve been able to develop my practice to a more confident point. As well as creating over 100 blog posts that have made me more comfortable to show and talk about the work I produce.
In the first term it was difficult to get the ball rolling on the Inside/ Outside brief while also trying to get used to a new place and moving away from home. The workshops in the first term were a fantastic way of helping to settle in and begin thinking about what I might create. My first thoughts were to follow a more abstract line or enquiry that explored the layering of ideas and paintings and thought about Inside/ outside in a more 2D way. As the term progressed and I was exploring the works of other artists such as Hepworth and Kandinsky I started to get braver and tried out a few new mediums. It was during this exploration period that I began the continuous painting that has really pushed my thinking and is something I would like to come back to in the future.
During the third term though I had a massive shift in ideas, which I think had been because of an increase in confidence through the field module. I then began working very quickly, with ideas and thoughts moving and developing towards the work I finally produced. First there was the body, which I later decided wouldn’t be enough for me to feel satisfied with showing it. It was after a long discussion with my work that I stumbled on the ball of light and the work of Jessica Drenk which has massively influenced the pieces I have shown (mirror and hat stand).
The field module was incredibly important to my personal development as I now feel more comfortable within the university as well as comfortable with the thought of collaboration pieces. I was lucky to have a positive experience with both groups the first producing a video showing the city we live in, and the second an installation that explored a sensory experience of Llandaff cathedral.
To imitate stained glass we had quite a few ideas such as buying pieces of shattered glass or using old bottles to create the light appearance of the stained glass. However we decided that we could attempt to make the glass using a boiled sweet method I used to make biscuits with.
It took some time to get the correct temperature and thickness but the sweets worked very well. I just hope that they work in the space as we hope.
The first tests showed the best light results because the sweets were thin. But this meant that the glass bubbled from the heat of the oven.
The thicker layers definitely worked better, and the mint sweets gave a clear glass appearance.
I then worked at making them into shapes to be hung separately. I think that I could have made a whole panel if I had had more experience with the melted sweets, but maybe this is something to try in the future.
The only real problem with these tiles is that the light doesn’t go through them as well as the thinner tiles, but this might be something to work on.
Sebs video is beautiful and shows the cathedral spectacularly. I just hope our textural work and tiles can do it justice. I think this will bring all of our work together. The sounds will come from recordings from the cathedral.
Our proposal is to create a space that represents the Llandaff Cathedral. With the glass hanging from the roof, a video projected onto as much of the space as possible and the slip tiles between two panels of textured paintings we hope that people will want to explore the space in there own way.
We have decided to focus on Llandaff Cathedral, this is because it is not only close to the University therefore we can all access it but it also gives a complete sensory experience which is what we have decided to recreate. Today after the tutorial we went as a group to the cathedral to explore and take some photographs, this positive as it allowed us to explore possibilities while experiencing the space.
One of the things we noticed about the cathedral was the light: with colour created by the stained-glass windows and intense shadows caused by large windows and the defining features of the cathedral the right move around the the space in a very particular way. If we were to recreate the Cathedral also think about the stained-glass windows as well as all the other aspects that we experienced.
Some key things that we wanted to try and recreate as well as the controlled light are the surface textures within the cathedral, the smell of incense and aged stones and wood. The visuals of the church through a video and use recorded sounds from the cathedral, this could then be projected onto a canvas with the textures and then the tiles either on the floor or around the canvas.
This could potentially be quite a complicated installation piece, but if it works it could be fantastic. One idea we had was to then either invite members of the cathedral to view the space create and see how they react with it, or if we had more time we could discuss bringing our work into the cathedral in some form.